This is my site for links to Genuine Free Stuff as well as some useful advice. I use most of these programs regularly. It's good gear. It's all worth having.

** April 2014. Major revamp and update for relevance happening, especially now that support for Windows XP has ended, and now that we all are addicted to our Android phones. A lot of old stuff is going.

This post in particular started this whole website...

I have been building and using computers since about the Ice Age, from DOS 3 through to Windows 7.
I have been mucking about with mobile phones for quite some time, using Symbian S60 and then Android.

Press F8 at boot to start in safe mode - Windows XP and 7
To see the details of you computer, download, install and run 'Speccy' - shows Operating System, Firewall, Anti-virus and hardware.
If you think you have a virus, start here 'Free Online Virus Scan'. Try any or all, and be patient.

March 7, 2014

How To check what files are taking up all the space on your computer with TreeSize

I have to use this occasionally when I lose a lot of space on my hard drive, and don't know why.
TreeSize
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Every hard disk is too small if you just wait long enough.
TreeSize Free tells you where precious space has gone to.
TreeSize Free can be started from the context menu of a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder, including its sub-folders.
You can expand this folder in Explorer-like style and you will see the size of every sub-folder.
Scanning is done in a thread, so you can already see results while TreeSize Free is working.
The space, which is wasted by the file system, can be displayed and the results can be printed in a report.


running on my computer - a very useful program to see where all that space has gone
Give it time to run. There is a tiny status bar at top left that is easy to miss.


Cheers. Si.
Checked for links and relevance, April 2014. Still very relevant for Windows XP and Windows 7
Hmm, I just ran this on my Windows 7 box and to my surprise, I need to delete a couple of massive games I have never played.

No comments: